-->

Friday 22 August 2008

Essential Oil Of The Week: Tea Tree

Botanical Name: Melaleuca Alternifolia

Aroma Type: Herbaceous

Note: Top

Tea Tree is another popular and well known essential oil which nowadays appears in many shampoos, conditioners, spot treatments, lip salves, cleansers, mouth rinses, antiseptic lotions, toothpastes, and bath oils.

Tea tree was named by Captain Cook’s crew, who brewed the small dark leaves and drank it as a tea substitute. The Aborigines first used it for its healing properties. During World War II, Australian soldiers were issued with Tea Tree oil in their first aid boxes as they recognised its powerful germicidal and antiseptic effects.

Its main properties are antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericidal, cicatrisant (promotes the healing of a wound), expectorant, fungicidal, insecticidal, stimulant and sudorific (increases perspiration).

Tea Tree can help with the following conditions: fungal infections, thrush, athlete’s foot, colds / flu, cuts, burns, blisters, cold sores, nappy rash, insect bites, breathing problems, bunions, chickenpox, chilblains, dandruff, insect repellent, measles, cystitis, sinusitis, sore throat, bronchitis, muscular aches & pains, boosts immune system, boils, warts, verrucae, bacterial & viral infections, catarrh, coughs, ringworm, PMT, anxiety, depression, and stress.

Like Lavender, Tea Tree oil can be used neat on the skin - apply one or two drops directly to spots, cuts, insect bites, stings, cold sores etc. If you or someone you live or work with has a cold, to combat the spread of airborne germs place 4-6 drops of Tea Tree oil in to some water in an oil burner. If you suffer with athlete’s foot, Tea Tree is a must – it is an efficient way of getting rid of it without having to use heavy chemical products.

I recently scalded my hand and was in quite a lot of pain with it. I placed a few drops of Tea Tree directly on to the affected area and I also placed a few drops in a bowl of cold water which I kept plunging my hand in to. It really eased the pain and stopped the throbbing and burning feeling.

Tea Tree blends well with frankincense, lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus, pine, chamomile, geranium, mandarin, marjoram, and peppermint.

Although Tea Tree oil is non-toxic and a non-irritant, it may cause some skin irritation to people with very sensitive skin. It is also advisable to avoid long-term continual use of the oil.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great information. We use tea tree oil in our home and with 3 little ones running around we have plenty of opportunity to use it on many different things. We also have a blog about essential oils at www.doterrahealth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete