-->

Tuesday 21 April 2009

Thermo-Auricular Therapy and Me

Ear Candling (Thermo-Auricular Therapy)
When I first heard about Hopi ear candles I thought that it would only help with ear problems. I wasn’t aware that it could help with a much wider range of ailments as it does. I became interested in the therapy because as a child I suffered with hearing problems, recurrent infections, compacted wax and various other ENT problems. Although I became interested in it due to the affects it could have on me, I hadn’t actually had a treatment on myself prior to the training course.

Although beneficial to people, I didn’t think that it could be very relaxing having a lit candle placed in your ear nor did I think that it would appeal to people who do not suffer with ENT problems. My opinion of this changed very rapidly as I experienced the treatment firsthand on the course and delivered the treatments to my case studies. The ear candling combined with a face massage was extremely relaxing. Once you get past the initial part of the candle being lit and put in place, the soothing sound of the herbs infusing with the flame produces a feeling of deep relaxation and calmness. It allows you to empty your mind completely.

After experiencing the treatment for myself and having realised how relaxing it was I thought that thermo-auricular therapy would be a very popular treatment with clients and that it worked on both a physical and a mental level. At this point I couldn’t see how it would help on a spiritual level nor did I expect it too. Again, my initial opinions were proved wrong when my clients started to experience tingling sensations in various parts of the body, feel energy flowing around the body, and see colours and in one case a presence in the room. It was then that I realised that thermo-auricular therapy was a truly all encompassing and powerful holistic treatment which affected the mind, body and spirit.

One of the things I love about the treatment is that it is so flexible and can be combined with any other holistic treatment depending on the clients needs at the time, be it a face massage, a back massage, reflexology or even some reiki.

From my point of view as a therapist, it is a very relaxing treatment to give and it doesn’t put any pressure on the hands, wrists, elbows and back like normal massage does.

I would like to develop my skills further by learning how to use an otoscope as I feel this would enhance the treatment and allow me to give more detailed feedback to my clients.

I much prefer thermo-auricular therapy as a method of ear wax removal over orthodox treatments i.e. syringing and I hope more and more people will start to realise this and experience this truly amazing treatment for themselves.

I trained in Thermo-Auricular Therapy (the theurapeutic use of Hopi Ear Candles) in February 2007 with Linda Stokes from The Thermo-Auricular Therapy Association . The above article formed part of an assignment that I wrote which was required for the course in Thermo-Auricular Therapy.

More information on Thermo-Auricular Therapy (Ear Candling) can be found on the Balance Holistics website.

No comments:

Post a Comment